2023/12/03

Reformed conversions

I added a date picker to the conversions page recently and I was just testing it, and noticed that the results for the French reformed calendar were off. The results are correct for 2005–2039, but outside that range sometimes they aren’t. I think I just forgot that I didn’t work out the algorithm, and since many dates were correct, I didn’t notice. I could just let it be and accept that there is a limited range of valid dates, or I could start over from scratch, since that would probably be easier than integrating new code into the existing function. In fact, I retested the same function with the original French Republican Calendar, and it works correctly, which is surprising, since it has to calculate the date of the equinox for every year, which seems harder than adding a day every four years. 

It’s not like anybody will notice. The site doesn’t even show up on Google since I let my domains lapse. I didn’t look at it for years, but recently started updating it again, ironically. There never has been much interest in this sort of thing, and all the similar sites still existing haven’t been updated for decades. I’ve posted all the information I have on Wikipedia, which has probably killed most such esoteric sites, since it makes the information easy to find and ends all the speculation. I started this site about 25 years ago to collect information from all the others. There used to be a bunch of web pages for original decimal time systems, many unaware that it had been done before. Why reinvent the wheel? That was never the purpose of this site, but just a place to keep my own research on existing and proposed decimal time systems. What else this site does is to offer conversions for all the different systems, even if I’m the only one using them. I enjoy the challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment